Points below added by Studyfreak team
Cohabitation or live in relationship is an arrangement where two people who are not married live together in an intimate relationship, particularly an emotionally and/or sexually intimate one, on a long-term or permanent basis.Indian society has come a long way, but Cohabitation is prevalent mostly among the people living in metro cities in India.
- People may live together for a number of reasons. Cohabitants could live together in order to save money, because of the convenience of living with another, or a need to find housing.
- Few couples opt for Live in relation ship because it keeps open the option of parting ways without undergoing the hassle of a divorce, which may be compounded by a costly settlement obligation. They dont want to face financial hardship if a marriage were to end in divorce
- It keeps open the option of knowing each other before bigger commitment of marriage.
- Lower income individuals facing financial uncertainty may delay or avoid marriage, not only because of the difficulty of paying for a wedding.
- Today, cohabitation is a common pattern among people in the Western world. More than two-thirds of married couples in the US say that they lived together before getting married."In 1994, there were 3.7 million cohabiting couples in the United States." This is a far cry from a few decades ago. Before 1970, cohabitation was illegal in the United States.
- Even researchers suggest that couples live together as a way of trying out marriage to test compatibility with their partners, while still having the option of ending the relationship without legal implications.
- In India living in couples lie to get accommodation, they declare themselves a married couple. Counsellors say such relationships are for financial and social security.To get a house on rent, live-in couples tell landlords they are married. They live like husband and wife, but their relationship has no legal sanction. When there is a break-up, we refer it to police as a case of cheating.
- Under family pressure couples fall apart when question of marriage come in front of them and leave 1 of them inconsolable.Things fall apart when the boy refuses to marry the girl.
- In India legal framework is not established yet very clearly for live in relationship.So once people get apart there is no way to resolve financial issues.As the relationship doesn't have legal sanction, they need to be careful. Most cases brought to our notice are of women complaining that the men they had lived with refused to marry them.
Legal decisions in India
- With a recent judgement by the Madras high court saying if in a prolonged relationship as partners, a man or woman cannot relieve themselves of its consequences and liabilities on the ground that it had not been registered or solemnized, the judiciary is now de facto moving towards a uniform civil code in place of personal laws governing marriages for long.
- In fact, there have been various orders by the Supreme Court and the high courts across the country that have in the past taken a fairly progressive view of live-in relationships. Legal experts say though it is a positive step on part of the judiciary, the meaning of a live-in relationship should be understood with due caution. "The courts have been careful whenever they have interpreted live-in relationships. They do not talk about short-term arrangements but a long standing commitment where the man and woman stay and share the same framework as that of marriage. The courts have time and again given clarity on that, and that for me is a fair amount of progressive view," said senior lawyer Pinky Anand.