Net neutrality debate: Do you think Net neutrality is important?
Free basics is not good for Net neutrality.
Background of Net neutrality:
Net neutrality (also network neutrality, Internet neutrality, or net equality) is the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet the same, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or mode of communication. So ISPs (Reliance, airtel, Idea, vodafone etc,) can not give any benifits to a particular website or mobiel app. Recently we have seen Advertisement of reliance that facebook will be freely available, that is against net neutrality.
In current internet all websites are freely available and users can access all websites in similar way. But if reliance will provide facebook as free website then business of all other sites will impact and slowly other sites will close down and then internet will be controlled by websites like Facebook. That is not good.
Even Facebook is asking its users on website that Facebook should be available freely.
In favor of Net neutrality:
- If ISPs will give special benefits to rich sites like Facebook then other websites will not be able to compete. and other websites will close down. Internet will loose its freedom. Facebook will control the content of internet. So net neutrality should not be compromised.
- In few other places free basics has been tested. There people think facebook is internet it is not fair.
- Even if government thinking of Free basics It should provide all websites as free not only Facebook.Because Facebook is not basic necessity.
- If Net neutrality has been compromised then all startups will be impacted. In current example Facebook is paying reliance for including its service in free basics. Later only rich websites will be part of free basics who will be able to pay money to ISPs( Airtel, reliance etc).So it will make poor/new websites inaccessible.
Against Net neutrality
- Free basics will help poor people who cannot afford to use internet. They will be able to access only Facebook or any other rich website which will be able to pay money to ISP./li>
- By free basics Poor will be able to access Facebook but they will think Facebook is internet. If government is thinking to provide free basics it should make whole internet freely to all not only Facebook.
Contributed by: Reena sharma