The Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras) is an autonomous public engineering institution located in Chennai (formerly Madras), Tamil Nadu. It is recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. Founded in 1959 with technical and financial assistance from the government of the former West Germany, it is third among the Indian Institutes of Technology established by the Government of India through an Act of Parliament, to provide education and research facilities in engineering and technology.
IIT Madras is a residential institute that occupies a 2.5 kmē (620 acres) campus that was formerly part of the adjoining Guindy National Park. The institute has nearly 460 faculty, 6,000 students and 1,250 administrative and supporting staff. Growing ever since it obtained its charter from the Indian Parliament in 1961, Much of the campus is a protected forest, carved out of the Guindy National Park, home to chital (spotted deer), black buck, and other wildlife. A natural lake, deepened in 1988 and 2003, drains most of its rainwater.
In 1956, the German Government offered technical assistance for establishing an institute of higher education in engineering in India. The first Indo-German agreement was signed in Bonn, West Germany in 1959 for the establishment of the Indian Institute of Technology at Madras. IIT Madras was started with technical, academic and financial assistance from the Government of West Germany and was at the time the largest educational project sponsored by the West German Government outside their country. This has led to several collaborative research efforts with universities and institutions in Germany over the years.Although official support from the German government has ended, several research efforts involving the DAAD program and Humboldt Fellowships exist.
The institute was inaugurated in 1959 by Prof. Humayun Kabir, the then Union Minister for Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs. In 1961, the IITs were declared to be Institutions of National Importance that include the seven Institutes of Technology located at Kharagpur (established 1951), Mumbai (established 1958), Chennai (established 1959), Kanpur (established 1959), Delhi (established 1961), Guwahati (established 1994) and Roorkee (established 1847, renamed to an IIT in 2001). IIT Madras celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2009.
The main entrance of IIT Madras is on Chennai's Sardar Patel Road, flanked by the residential districts of Adyar and Velachery. The campus is close to the Raj Bhavan, the official seat of the Governor of Tamilnadu. Other entrances are located in Velachery (near Anna Garden MTC bus stop, Velachery Main Road), Gandhi Road (known as Krishna Hostel gate or Toll Gate) and Taramani gate (close to Ascendas Tech Park).
The campus is located 10 km from the Chennai Airport, 12 km from the Chennai Central Railway station, and is well connected by buses.
Two parallel roads, Bonn Avenue and Delhi Avenue, cut through the faculty residential area shrouded under a canopy of green, before they meet at the Gajendra Circle, near the Administrative Block. Buses and electric mini buses ply between the gate, Gajendra Circle, the academic zone, and the hostels.
Latest news from education worldRead More